Thursday 10 January 2008

Tenants - What to check & ask.

Having seen my fair share of tenants in my time, only a very small percentage ask the 'right' relevant questions and check the property thoroughly.

As a prospective tenant, I will try and guide you, I hope you may do the same when you see me struggling to cross the A96 in Elgin !

The most important thing you should check is that your landlord and letting agent are registered with the local authority - If they are not, then walk away.

Check the water pressure. You will curse every time you try to take a shower, or fill up your bath, should your property have low water pressure, this can be a dealbreaker in many instances.

Ask your landlord / letting agent for a copy of the Tenancy Agreement, before you sign up and take time read it, many people do not. You should also be provided with an AT5 notice and a new Repairing Standard notice for a Short Assured Tenancy Agreement - This is the law.

Ask if the price is negotiable, don't accept vague answers "I'm not sure", or "I don't know" from the agent. Ask them to check with the landlord. After all, you are out to get the best deal you can.

If there is mains gas to the property, ask to see the Gas Safety Certificate - Again this is the law. All properties should have sufficient smoke alarms and all new smoke alarms must now be hard-wired.

You will be given an inventory when you move in. Ensure you add your own comments to it relating to existing damage, marks or stains. Even take pictures of any damage and save them on your phone or PC.

Ask if there is a an out of hours number, should you have a burst pipe or something equally as serious outside office hours - Though best not to call at 2.00am to report the bulb has gone in your fridge.

Above all use a common sense approach, ask questions that are relevant to your situation - Do you accept pets / smokers ? How far is the nearest Supermarket / Bus Stop / Cake Shop (That last one would be one of my own...). And you won't go far wrong.

My wife has just called me to say my cup of tea is ready and I have some cherry scones with my name on.

Hopefully Matthew at Moray Rentals will be amazed at my progress, until this morning, when he explained it all to me I was not even sure what a blog was !

Happy House Hunting - Mr Jackson.