Saturday 12 January 2008

Plugged In.

Did you know ? A three-bedroom house built today must have at least 38 sockets, more than twice as many as 30 years ago. This is set by the National House Building Council's technical standards - revised up last year from 21 sockets - which cover more than 80% of new homes built in the UK.

As I visit and inspect some of my own properties in Moray - on a quarterly basis. I am amazed by the number of electrical items the tenants appear to own. Often they don't appear to have enough sockets. There's the 52" HD Satellite Plasma TV, (which is often takes up a whole wall), the sound system, the Sky TV box, the DVD player, the video recorder and the stereo. Then we have several games consoles and the computer, the printer, the laptop, the table lamp... Normally all in the lounge. I'm sure their electricity bill must be as much as the rent.

I'm pleased to say I'm doing my bit for the planet by not owning many electrical items. I don't even have a TV ! Though the TV licensing people must have sent me half a rainforest demanding I must buy a TV licence. I don't consider myself to be an elitist by not having a TV, I would much rather read Proust, sculpt or write sonnets !

The rental market in the local area seems to be on an upward spiral presently. With demand outstripping supply. As such rental prices are steadily gaining momentum, bucking the national trend. Good news for landlords, not such good news for tenants.

Anything 'quirky' with exposed brickwork, hardwood floors, or a balcony seems to command a high premium. How times have changed......! There's a couple of nice looking developments being completed locally which include the above, Fisher Heights in Nairn and IV36 in Forres. Ideal for the young professional types who own large TV's and lots of electrical goods.

Once I've finished my Eccles cake I will be 'logging on' to see what happened in Coronation Street this week - just to keep Mrs Jackson up to date mind.......

Regards,

Mr Jackson