Tuesday 15 January 2008

Old School

There's presently lots of new developments taking shape in the area. Many of these are being built locally on fields and 'Greenbelt' land, which I am strongly opposed to. Especially when there are plenty of 'Brownfield' sites in the area, that need re-developing.

It seems that some of the larger Estate owners are reluctant to sell, rent or develop the numerous farms, their outbuildings and steadings. Instead these are left derelict, whilst the stunning Moray countryside is raped and pillaged by indiscriminate developers. Building soulless identikit houses at an expeditious rate.

Even after the war London was re-built and re-developed slowly and with forethought. I remember watching a V1 Rocket which passed overhead, when it was safe to come out, we watched it fly further over London. After a short while the engine cut out, and it plummeted to the ground. There was a huge golden ball of fire. At first we thought it was some new secret weapon. But it turned out that it had hit the gas-holder at the Oval, and the gas had exploded in a massive fireball. It took a further 10-15 years to fully re-develop that site.

The houses and the industry that was built on that site are still there today, I wonder if we will be able to say the same about today's houses ?

The houses built after the war have presence, style and some of the best 20th Century architecture around. Many modern houses lack character and soul. In my opinion many modern housing estates will be seen as distasteful and bland in the years to come. They themselves will be demolished to make way for the latest fad in design. Perhaps replaced by Pod houses stacked on top of one another ?

Though I would rather this than further unrequired development of the surrounding countryside.

I'm sorry, this particular blog and all the reminiscing is now making me morose.

I have some large choux pastry cakes in the fridge (or elephants feet, as we used to call them), I am sure they will cheer me up. I may even offer Mrs Jackson one, with her afternoon tea.

Look after yourselves,

Mr Jackson.