Sunday 13 January 2008

The Invisible Man.

I have now added to the list of my infirmities of the advancing years - that of invisibility.

On Friday I visited the premises of a local developer, accompanied by my son. I was looking for a 2 bedroom, fixed price, off-plan apartment in a new development to add to my portfolio.

The young assistant who was advising us addressed all her advice to my son, despite the fact that I was the customer, and knew exactly, and explained clearly, what I required. She didn't even offer us a cup of tea, or a biscuit.

I am sure the young lady wouldn’t have been so discourteous as to imagine that I would be unable to understand or remember what she had to say. I can only assume that being shorter than she was, and with my grey hair and light coloured camel coat, maybe her eyes weren’t as keen as my recent cataract operations have left mine, and she couldn’t in fact see me !

With age I have finally got my head together - now it's the body that's falling apart. My memory is shorter but my complaining is longer, as the young assistant and her MD (who I have dealt with before) found out.

I treated my 'invisibility issue' with them both tactfully and in quite a light-hearted way. By the end of it I had secured the property I required at £5k less than the fixed price and was offered a complimentary upgrade on the kitchen budget. We secured the deal with a coffee and a blueberry muffin.

A good end to the day for the invisible man.

Regards, Mr Jackson.