Thursday 10 January 2008

It's My Party....

Happy New Year to you all !

It's my 72nd birthday soon and I don't feel a day over 70. These birthdays come and go, but I've reached the point in life where I've learned that each day is as precious as the next.

But still, birthdays make me reflective.I thought I'd share some of the thoughts that have come to me as this particular birthday approaches. Both in personal and business issues.

1. Laugh. If you do not see the irony and humor in most situations, you may be looking at it from the wrong perspective. If you are missing it, step to the side a couple of paces and then maybe you'll see it.

2. Be open minded - Especially in property deals. You might find a 2 double bedroomed flat above a grocers near a station rents out far faster than a similar flat in a nice road 15 minutes walk from a station, and costs considerably less to purchase.

3. Reflect - Whatever you think the baby-boomers will do next, is the market to target. These people are 42 to 58 years old at present, and have just started retiring, or partially retiring. Many of whom will want to live in nice coastal resorts, such as Findhorn or Garmouth. Or in cottages or farms in country areas with some land. Many decide to sell their homes and release equity and rent for the rest of their lives - A great tenant if you can snap them up !

Furthermore, the eco-boomers – the oldest of whom are now 25 years old, will want the smart small town centre apartments, though watch you don't pay over inflated prices - check the local market and try to buy at fixed prices.

4. The 10% factor. I've been fortunate enogh to have lived most of life in prosperity. I've met people of different religions, nationalities, philosphies, political beliefs. Ninety percent of the people, I have encountered want to do the right thing most of the time. They want to help when they can, share what they have. The other 10 percent are idiots. The percentage remains constant across all social, cultural, political, ethnic, geographic and age boundaries. Sometimes you have to live with them in business, in your neighborhoods or sitting next to you on a train. Endure them for they can't be avoided.

5. It's ok to say 'no'. No to a property deal, no to a prospective tenant, no to your husband on a Friday night ! Sometimes it takes a lot of courage to say this little word, when the easier option is to say yes - but it can be much harder living with the consequences.

Well that finishes my first post, not as bad as I thought, I hope you enjoyed reading it. I'm off for my second slice of M&S fruit cake and to check on a tenant with a loose toilet seat.

Mr Jackson.