Saturday 14 February 2009

Hopeman's a star !

The sleepy fishing / seaside village of Hopeman was on the TV twice last week.

I was fortunate enough to meet Fiona Bruce when she was filming in the village in the Summer. Fiona's links with Hopeman are widely known in the village, where she still has relatives, but these were broadcast to the nation in the new series of 'Who Do You Think You Are?

Her great-grandfather, John Bruce, was the skipper of a fishing boat, while her great-grandmother, Isabella, had a family of eight children to support and would go around selling fish from a huge basket that she carried on her back.

What a lovely lady she is too, I joined her and the crew at at the Harbour Tea rooms in Lossiemouth - I think Mrs Jackson may be slightly jealous, as when we next saw her on the news she kept referring to her as 'my other woman'.

Hopeman was again centre of attention when the Channel 4 show 'A Place In The Sun - Home or USA' filmed in the village, they visited a cottage that was up for sale for ages, which strangely enough I had considered purchasing myself.

The shows presenter Jonnie Irwin showed the couple around and also took them on to Towiemore and Tomintoul, this being the place where the couple decided to purchase a second home.

Now if only Amanda Lamb was presenting this episode and had come to Hopeman, that would have truly made my Summer. I would share a fondant fancy and a pot of Rington's with her any day of the week.....

'You've no Hopeman' as Mrs Jackson tells me, smiling to herself.

Yours 'Hope'fully

Mr Jackson.