Monday 19 October 2009

"I'm in the shed dear...."

I like a nice homely shed, but I'm also partial to a bit of upmarket architectural eye-candy, so imagine my delight when we discovered that some genius has created a super cool, Kevin McCloud approved … shed for living! My thanks go to Michael O'Flynn of Findaproperty.com for this article.

I haven’t been this thrilled by a design ’solution’ since eglu applied a bit of i-Mac styling to the humble chicken coop. Could it really live up to our fevered expectations?

And, more to the point, could it live up to its own billing as “individual low-cost student or key-worker accommodation, or an ideal house for a first-time buyer”?

Said shed, or dwelle, as designers FKDA architects have branded it, is zero carbon, off-grid, and cleverly compact.

It has underfloor heating, a wood-burning fireplace, newspaper insulation (Guardian, I’m guessing!) and a streamlined barn conversion aesthetic. It looks like this:



I think it’s pretty cool, and at £35,000-£50,000 for the largest version, you can’t really quibble about the price - even if, as we all well know, the biggest problem with this will be finding an affordable site to put it on.

Still, hats off to FKDA for an imaginative and good-looking response to the plight of the FTB. And well done to Grand Designs Live for showcasing it this weekend.



If you want to take a closer look, go see dwelle at Grand Designs Live, Birmingham, where it will feature alongside a couple of other very cool eco- and micro-homes in the Grand Village.

I can always be found in my shed, the window of which overlooks Findhorn Bay. Trouble is, it has no heating or water. If I were to buy one of these Mrs Jackson would never see me again !

Yours humbly,

Mr Jackson