Wednesday 22 July 2009

A 9 year old's mind......

Throughout the global financial crisis, many people have asked whether our children will make the same mistakes.

There have been calls for more personal finance lessons in schools, to help prevent young people falling into a spiral of debt when they get older.

But how much do they already know? The BBC talked to a group of six pupils, all aged nine, from Cedarwood Primary School at Kesgrave, near Ipswich, about money matters. They were: Grace, Caitlyn, Keyara, Edward, Verity, and Ben.

Below are their answers to the question

How much does a house cost?

V: £1,256.

E: £20,000.

K: £50,000.

C: I would pay £3,000 for a big house, £2,000 for a middle-size house, and £1,000 for a bungalow.

G: I would spend £55,365.01.

E: The 1p is vital

B: It is about £2,500 for a house.

BBC Rep: Do you know an average house costs about £150,000?

G: Now I know why my mum keeps on saying that we are poor!




How are we going to raise all that money?

V: Work, or get two jobs.

E: Leave it to my dad.

G: Ask your mum and dad, but they might be retired...

C: ...Will they get money?

G: Yes, the taxes you pay go to the retired people to live.

C: My nanny and grandad love me because when they look after us they get about £20 a night.

BBC Rep: Who else can we ask for money for our house?

B: If you have a credit card, can you withdraw it from the credit card?

BBC Rep: If I borrow money on my credit card, what happens?

K: It comes out as a bill. My uncle said one day that he would teach me to be a lady who uses her money properly, so he asked for £1 and said he would give it back, but with a bit more.

G: If I borrow money off my mum, I wait so long that she forgets about it. But when they borrow money off me, I never forget.

E: I'm on exactly the same track. I keep quiet about owing my mum.

V: How much does a manager of a supermarket get? In Sainsbury's, I think Mr Sainsbury's gets all the money?

K: But he's dead?

All: Is he?

V: There is also Mr Tesco...

G: ...And Mr Budgens.

E: I've heard of Mr Bean

Yes I think they're on track to make the same mistakes !

Until the next time,

Mr Jackson.